Saturday, July 7, 2012

Blessed - Part One

I've been thinking the last few days about what I have. So often, I think about what I want, or where I'm going, but I don't always spend a lot of time thinking about what I have, and where I am. I've decided to dedicate this post to recognize some of the things that are at the forefront of my mind. I'm sure that it will by no means even begin to scratch the surface of everything that I'm blessed with, but it'll be a start.

My family has been blessed with great health. I acknowledged this over the last week when my daughter was bit by a dog, and we were trying to determine if we would  be able to win the battle of infection by ourselves, or if we would need to see a doctor and get antibiotics to tip the scales in our favour. No medical intervention was required (yay for my first-aid skills!), and I was VERY relieved about this, as I discovered that my kids' health cards expired in 2006. Yes - that's right - I said 2006. As in, six years ago. They quite simply haven't been sick or needed a doctor in the last six years, so it hasn't been an issue. And, since I grew up in the days of the red-and-white cards which didn't expire, I don't think to look at them to check for expiry, they way I would with my driver's license. Realizing this, I felt an overwhelming wave of gratitude and appreciation for our health - we've truly been lucky and blessed.

I've been blessed with wonderful children. I don't post about my kids a lot - but as any mother knows, there are few moments that go by that they aren't on our mind, in one way or another.

My son is growing up so fast - he just turned twelve. I rarely worry about him, because I've seen the great judgement that he demonstrates on a daily basis. As he's being given more freedom to explore the world and develop a social life, he will often check in or give updates - not because he's been asked to, but because he understands that if we're not waiting or worrying, then we'll be happier, and less stressed. He demonstrates thoughtfulness and so many shining moments that make me so proud of the man that I see him becoming. He had a sleepover recently in a hotel with a friend just after the school year ended, and they spent some time in an arcade. When he finally cashed in all his tickets, he was looking what he could get as a souvenier to bring back to his girlfriend. His friend bugged him a bit about that, as guys will do, but he redeemed them for a Twilight Book Bracelet (which seems to be just a fancy bookmark that wraps around the whole cover of the book) as she's a fan of the Twilight series. When he talked with me about it afterwards, he told me that first of all, the kind of thinking that his friend demonstrated is just another reason why he's still single (LMAO), and that secondly, he was thinking of her, and wanted to be able to give her something to show her that. He's got moves, that kid, and any girl will be lucky to have him (I know... I may  be biased, but still).

My daughter is confidence, personified. She does what she wants to do, wears what she wants to wear, and while she may care what other people think, she rarely lets that influence her decisions. This is something that I can already appreciate, as I see her standing up for what she believes and not being influenced negatively by her peers. It also means, however, that I am rarely able to sway her position on things. When what she wants and what I want happen to coincide? The sky's the limit. When they don't? It's a battle of wills that can go on for hours, days, or in the case of some long-standing differences of opinion...years. I remember a time when she was about...hmmm... somewhere between 18 months and 3 years, I suppose. She hit me, and I was unwilling to move on until she apologized. I sat her down on her bedroom floor, and sat across from her. She did not feel the need to apologize for what she'd done. So we sat there, staring at eachother, for two hours (yes, she and I are both that stubborn) at which point she slumped over, having fallen asleep while sitting upright. Oddly enough...even then, I felt proud of her for taking her stand for what she felt was right.

I think that's enough for one night. There's more that I am blessed with...my work, my colleagues, my family, my husband, my home...blah, blah, blah. I'm sure that when i'm all done it'll just seem like bragging, so if you don't want to hear it, just skip over the next couple of posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment